Should I hold a meeting?
- Can the issue be solved by picking up the phone and dialing someone?
- Am I experiencing a lot of anxiety right now?
- Would an e-mail work better?
- Would this work better as a series of one-on-one conversations?
- Is the issue at hand largely inconsequential?
- Am I holding the meeting purely for optics?
- Have I thought about the financial costs of holding the meeting?
- Can I articulate the purpose of the meeting succinctly?
- Have I gotten feedback from a trusted advisor on the usefulness of this meeting?
- Am I calling this meeting out of convenience for me?
- Would a brainstorming session work better?
If you answered “YES” to any of these questions, you may not be ready to hold this meeting. Go back to the drawing board and think through whether or not a meeting is truly necessary.